Skip to main content

The Power of Writing by Keisha Robinson

The Power of Writing

Writing is an essential function in life. I am sure that most people don’t realize the importance of writing, and how it has impacted human life. Books were written of various diverse denominations to provide basic instructions while on earth. On July 4, 1776 when this nation was founded, there needed to be some type of document solidifying the separation of the United States from the British Empire which caused for the creation of the United States Declaration of Independence. Extremely significant and powerful, writing can be used as a tool to establish any point of view. The importance, the purpose, and the point of views through the writing were well demonstrated by Thomas Jefferson. The Declaration of Independence is an important document and in its own written words, started the path to abolish Slavery, which didn’t happen until much later. History confirms the significance of the power that lies within written words.

Another important written document that Thomas Jefferson was involved with was the United States Constitution which was adopted on September 17, 1787, and the Bill of Rights (which are ten amendments), were ratified on December 15, 1791. There were a host of other documents and writings but most importantly through writing, laws have been made.

Although slavery was not abolished until 1865, shortly before that in 1848, Slave Codes in the State of Georgia did not allow writing. Slaves were whipped for teaching one another how to read and write. Writing especially, was considered a Capital Offense punishable by death.

It is imperative that there be an ability to use writing as a tool in day to day life. This pervasive and evident theme focuses on the skill of writing, and how writing has been used to create laws, change laws, provide information, and for intellectual stimuli.
Words well put together and used to clearly convey a thought, a concept, or an ideal through writing substantiates and solidifies the validity of the material, especially when facts are stated. Well written letters or documents are viewed as impressionable and to have been written by distinguished intellectuals versus being written by an imbecile. The continuing truth remains that writing is just as significant now in the 21st Century, as it was in the late 1700’s.

Today, I use writing in my personal life whenever I need to. Words written on paper just have some type of special effect, by not only allowing the writer to clearly express themselves, but by also allowing the reader to understand the writer’s point of view without interruption. I really enjoy writing and I have accomplished great things through the ability to be well written. I have always been invited back to any establishment based on me writing about my concerns regarding my dissatisfaction with their service, and I have received apologies and been compensated tremendously for horrible service that I have received. I call it the ‘Power of Writing.’

There are also positive things that can be done through writing such as contacting your Federal, State, and local government on issues, questions, and concerns. There shall always be an instance where there is indefinitely a need to write. For example, some job applications require applicants to complete a section in writing describing themselves and their experience. Also, the event may arise where there is a need to write a professional letter to a creditor for over charging. We should get into the practice of exercising our right to write more often.

I use writing in many aspects of my life. Sometimes I like to send written commendations to supervisors of employees whom I find have been extremely helpful. Often times I may need to write an article, a professional letter for a business related matter, I may need to make a request in writing, or I am assisting someone else voice their concerns or address an issue. I always try to make sure I look good on paper. It may be the tiniest complaint to a restaurant or a hotel. No matter if it is a complaint or a compliment, I feel like my voice needs to be heard and through writing, the reader has no other alternative but to read what is written.

I have provided literary support and writing services within the community for over four years now, and I want to continue sharing the importance of writing with others. I realize how blessed and fortunate I am to have the opportunity to be able to understand how to read and write as an African American Woman today. Especially, when not too long ago, reading and writing was a crime for enslaved people of color.


This article was written in honor of the Los Angeles Sentinel for over 70 years of providing information to the African American Community, in addition to promoting literacy. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literary Analysis of Baxter’s Procrustes by Keisha Robinson

In response to the literary reading of Charles W. Chesnutt’s, Baxter Procrustes , I really enjoyed the reading and I loved the writing style! This reading adventure was very fun, with an exception for minor difficulty understanding the usage of some punctuation, wording, and language. This story is well written and  clearly expressive of philosophical, logical, and illogical thoughts and ideas. Baxter’s Procrustes serves as a literary inspiration for authors, writers, publishers, and book collectors. This is an amazing story of failure, hope and success as best described with a shortcoming by omitting women. Solely due to the period of time in which this story was written is the only excusable reason that women were not allowed. That is no longer an issue or a concern today because of people like Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass and efforts put forward towards Women's Liberation and the Women's Rights Movement.             Although I did find this a story of fate, Baxter w

Politics Motivate Artistic Quality by Keisha Robinson

Politics Motivate Artistic Quality                                                     By: Keisha Robinson Politics inadvertently impact an artists’ creative work. Based on conditions: socioeconomic, inequality, injustice, racism, discrimination, oppression, and genocide; I believe an artist is compelled and often times obligated to describe these conditions through various art forms. I find it necessary for an artist to express issues related to politics in a creative format, and quite often political issues do motivate such works.   As an artist, free expression is an imperative aspect to creativity: The freedom to express different viewpoints and diverse perspectives without scrutiny surrounding artistic style, arrangement, and composition for me, helps conveys a clear message. In my opinion, there is no set standard for artistic creativity. I would not have the creative freedom of expression that exists today, had it not been for the versatile pioneer’s at the forefront. I am hono